This homemade Chicken Pot Pie is classic comfort food that will keep you warm. With a flaky Pie Crust and juicy chicken and vegetables, it’s a show-stopping entrée.
Chicken Pot Pie – The ultimate comfort dish is our traditional homemade chicken pot pie! You’ll never buy a chicken pot pie again after you learn how to prepare this simple chicken pot pie recipe.
How to make chicken pot pie
To make chicken pot pie, you will need to prepare a filling made of diced chicken and mixed vegetables in a creamy sauce. The filling is then topped with a layer of pastry dough and baked until the crust is golden brown. The dish can be served hot, and is a popular choice for a comforting, home-style meal.
What is chicken pot pie filling made of?
Chicken pot pie filling is usually made with a combination of cooked, diced chicken, vegetables such as peas, carrots, and potatoes, and a broth- or cream-based sauce. The filling is then used to fill a pie crust and is baked until the crust is golden brown and the filling is hot and bubbly. Some variations may include additional ingredients such as herbs, spices, and other vegetables.
What to serve with chicken pot pie
- Chicken pot pie is a hearty, comfort food that goes well with a variety of side dishes. Some options for sides to serve with chicken pot pie include:
- Salad: A simple green salad or a more colorful mixed salad would be a refreshing accompaniment to the rich flavors of the chicken pot pie.
- Roasted vegetables: Roasted vegetables, such as Brussels sprouts, carrots, or asparagus, would add a burst of flavor and a healthy dose of nutrients to the meal.
- Mashed potatoes: Creamy mashed potatoes would be a classic choice to serve alongside chicken pot pie.
- Grilled or steamed vegetables: Grilled or steamed vegetables, such as broccoli, zucchini, or bell peppers, would be a lighter, healthier option to balance out the richness of the pie.
- Bread: A basket of warm, crusty bread would be a great option for dipping into the sauce of the chicken pot pie.
- Rice or noodles: Plain rice or noodles would also be good options for soaking up the delicious sauce of the chicken pot pie.
- Ultimately, the choice of side dishes will depend on your personal preferences and the overall theme of the meal.
Homemade Chicken Pot PieCourse: RECIPES
Homemade chicken pot pie with flaky pie crust and creamy chicken pot pie filling is the best classic chicken pot pie recipe. Comfort food at its finest!
1 pound cubed skinless and boneless chicken breast halves
1 cup carrots, sliced
1 cup green peas, frozen
1/2 cup celery, sliced
1/3 cup of butter
1/3 cup onion, chopped
1/3 cup of all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon of salt
1⁄4 teaspoon of black pepper
1⁄4 teaspoon of celery seed
¾ cups chicken broth.
⅔ cup milk.
2 unbaked 9-inch pie crusts
- Preheat the oven to 425 ℉ (220 degrees C.)
- Combine the chicken, carrots, peas, and celery in a saucepan.
- Cover with water and bring to a boil for 15 minutes. Remove the pan from the heat, drain it, and set it aside.
- Cook onions in butter in a saucepan over medium heat until tender and transparent.
- Combine flour, salt, pepper, and celery seed in a mixing bowl. Stir in the chicken broth and milk slowly.
- Simmer over medium-low heat until the sauce has thickened. Remove the pan from the heat and set it aside.
- Fill the bottom pie crust with the chicken mixture.
- Pour the heated liquid mixture over everything. Cover with the top crust, seal the edges, and trim away any excess dough.
- Cover with the top crust, seal the edges, and trim away any excess dough. To allow steam to escape, cut many small slots in the top.
- Bake for 30 to 35 minutes, or until pastry is golden brown and filling is bubbling, in a preheated oven.
- Allow 10 minutes to cool before serving.