You can make a Chicago Style Deep Dish Pizza at home with this recipe. A wonderful deep dish pizza in the style of Chicago, created with a simple handmade dough and piled high with cheese, sauce, and sausage!
How to Make Chicago Style Deep Dish Pizza
You don’t have to travel to Chicago to get a deep-dish pizza any longer! The golden brown crust, homemade chunky tomato sauce, and a fresh coating of mozzarella cheese are just the best combination ever!
This Chicago style pizza has a lot of cheese and sausage on it, and it’s topped with a delicious pizza sauce and Parmesan cheese.
Chicago Style Deep Dish PizzaCourse: MainCuisine: Italian
Chicago style deep dish pizza recipe
- For the Dough:
1 1/3 cup hot water
1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
2 1/4 tablespoons dried active yeast
2 teaspoons sugar (white)
1/4 cup butter, melted
½ cup cornmeal
1/2 teaspoons salt, fine
2 teaspoons olive oil, divided, or as needed
4 cups pizza sauce (or as desired)
3 3/4 cup flour (all-purpose)
- For the Fillings/Toppings
8 oz. cubed fresh mozzarella cheese
4 oz. provolone cheese, sliced
1 pound casingless spicy Italian sausage
Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese, 2 oz.
4 oz. part-skim, low-moisture mozzarella cheese, shredded
1 tablespoon olive oil
- Fill the bowl of a stand mixer with water and the paddle attachment. Allow 10 minutes for the yeast to dissolve.
- Add the olive oil, cornmeal, sugar, salt, melted butter, and the majority of the flour
- Knead until smooth and elastic, stopping to scrape down the edges as needed and adding more flour as needed.
- Place the dough on a floured work surface. If necessary, add more flour to the kneading.
- Place in a basin coated with 1/2 teaspoon olive oil and roll into a ball.
- Cover with a plate and set aside in a warm place to rise for 1 to 2 hours, or until doubled in volume.
- Meanwhile, simmer pizza sauce in a pot over low heat for 60 to 90 minutes, or until extremely thick.
- Preheat oven to 425 ℉ (220 degrees C).
- To deflate the dough, poke it with a fork and turn it out onto your work surface.
- Form dough into a spherical shape 3 to 4 inches bigger than 12 inches cast iron skillet by pressing and stretching it out.
- /2 teaspoons olive oil, brushed into the skillet.
- Stretch and pull the dough uniformly around the bottom and sides of the skillet.
- Cover the bottom of the crust with provolone cheese.
- Fresh mozzarella should be strewn throughout the top.
- Combine Italian sausage and hard mozzarella
- Pour a good amount of pizza sauce on top.
- Top with grated Parmesan cheese.
- To seal in the sides, fold the crust’s edges in toward the middle. 1 tablespoon olive oil drizzled over the crust and middle.
- Bake for 35 minutes in the center of the preheated oven, or until the crust sounds hollow and the pizza is nicely browned.
- Allow for a 10-minute rest before slicing.