Cream cheese sausage balls, a delightful twist on a classic appetizer, have become increasingly popular in recent times. They are known for their rich, savory flavor and are a hit at parties, gatherings, or even as a tasty snack. In this article, we’ll explore everything about this mouth-watering dish, from its origins to how to serve it best.
What are Cream Cheese Sausage Balls?
Cream cheese sausage balls are a variant of the traditional sausage ball, incorporating cream cheese for added richness and moisture. They are typically made with a combination of sausage meat, cream cheese, Bisquick (or a similar baking mix), and cheese, resulting in a tender, flavorful bite.
Best Sausage Flavors for Sausage Balls
The choice of sausage greatly influences the flavor of the balls. Mild or spicy Italian sausage, breakfast sausage, or even chorizo can be used, depending on your taste preference. The key is to choose a sausage that
complements the creaminess of the cream cheese. Spicier sausages like chorizo add a kick, while milder varieties like breakfast sausage offer a subtle, savory flavor.
Can You Freeze Sausage Balls?
Absolutely! Cream cheese sausage balls freeze exceptionally well. To freeze, place them on a baking sheet until solid, then transfer to a freezer bag. They can be stored for up to 2 months. When you’re ready to enjoy, bake them directly from the freezer, adding a few extra minutes to the cooking time.
What to Serve with Bisquick Sausage Balls
These sausage balls pair wonderfully with a variety of dips and sauces, such as ranch dressing, marinara sauce, or even a spicy aioli. For a heartier meal, serve them alongside a fresh salad or as a protein-packed addition to a brunch spread.
To whip up these delectable treats, you’ll need:
- Sausage meat (your choice of flavor)
- Cream cheese
- Bisquick or a similar baking mix
- Shredded cheese (like cheddar or mozzarella)
- Spices and herbs for added flavor (optional)
Cream cheese sausage balls are a versatile, delicious appetizer or snack that’s sure to be a crowd-pleaser. Whether you’re hosting a party, a family gathering, or just craving something savory, these sausage balls are an excellent choice. Don’t forget to experiment with different sausages and dips to find your perfect combination!
- Can I use gluten-free Bisquick for this recipe?
Yes, gluten-free Bisquick can be used as a substitute for traditional Bisquick.
- How long should I bake the sausage balls?
Typically, they should be baked for 20-25 minutes at 350°F (175°C), or until golden brown.
- Can I make these sausage balls vegetarian?
While traditional sausage balls are meat-based, you can experiment with vegetarian sausage substitutes.
- Are cream cheese sausage balls suitable for a keto diet?
By substituting regular Bisquick with a keto-friendly alternative, you can make these sausage balls keto-compliant.
- How can I keep the sausage balls moist?
The key is not to overcook them and to ensure there is enough cream cheese in the mix to keep them moist.
Cream Cheese Sausage BallsCourse: BreakfastCuisine: American
Cream Cheese Sausage Balls are a crowd-pleasing appetizer, blending the richness of cream cheese with savory sausage.
pound uncooked hot sausage
package (8 ounces) cream cheese, softened
cup shredded cheddar cheese
- Preheat the oven to 400ºF.
- In a mixing bowl, combine all the ingredients until thoroughly blended. You can use a KitchenAid mixer with the dough hook attachment for optimal results.
- Shape the mixture into 1-inch balls and arrange them on a rimmed baking sheet.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 18 to 22 minutes or until golden brown.
- Enjoy these delicious sausage and cheese bites as a tasty appetizer or snack!