What Is Breakfast Pizza?
Breakfast pizza is a fusion of pizza and breakfast, featuring a pizza crust topped with breakfast ingredients like scrambled eggs, cheese, meats, and vegetables. It offers a creative and indulgent way to enjoy classic breakfast flavors in a new form, perfect for brunches and special mornings.
Tips for Making the Best Breakfast Pizza
Crafting the perfect breakfast pizza involves a few key tips to ensure a delicious and satisfying outcome. Here’s how to make the best breakfast pizza:
- Prep Ingredients Ahead of Time: Prepare all your toppings in advance – cook the sausage, scramble the eggs, shred the cheese, and chop any vegetables. This makes the assembly process smoother.
- Use Quality Pizza Dough: Opt for a high-quality pizza dough, whether store-bought or homemade. A good dough creates a sturdy base that complements the toppings.
- Precook Meat: If you’re using meats like sausage or bacon, precook them before adding to the pizza. This ensures they are fully cooked and brings out their flavors.
- Seasoning: Don’t forget to season your toppings. Simple salt and pepper can enhance the overall flavor profile.
- Create a Balanced Spread: Evenly distribute the toppings over the pizza crust. Aim for a balance of eggs, cheese, meats, vegetables, and any other ingredients you choose.
- Don’t Overload: While toppings are delicious, avoid overloading the pizza. Too many toppings can lead to a soggy crust and uneven cooking.
- Precook Vegetables: If you’re adding vegetables like mushrooms or onions, consider sautéing or precooking them slightly to ensure they’re tender when the pizza is done.
- Egg Placement: Soft scramble the eggs, leaving them slightly wet, as they’ll finish cooking in the oven. Distribute them evenly over the pizza.
- Cheese Coverage: Use a blend of cheeses for both flavor and texture. Ensure even coverage to create a gooey, melty topping.
- Baking Temperature: Follow the pizza dough’s baking temperature instructions. This ensures that the crust cooks properly and the cheese melts to perfection.
- Monitor Cooking Time: Keep an eye on the pizza while it bakes. The goal is a golden-brown crust, melted cheese, and cooked toppings.
- Customization: Feel free to get creative with your breakfast pizza. Experiment with different combinations of toppings and sauces to suit your taste.
- Let It Rest: Allow the breakfast pizza to cool slightly before slicing. This prevents the cheese from sliding off and allows the flavors to meld.
- Serve Fresh: Breakfast pizza is best enjoyed right out of the oven when the crust is still crispy and the cheese is gooey.
By following these tips, you’ll be on your way to creating a mouthwatering breakfast pizza that delights your taste buds and elevates your morning meal.
What Else Can I Put on My Breakfast Pizza?
The possibilities for toppings on your breakfast pizza are virtually limitless, allowing you to customize it to your taste preferences. Here are some additional ingredients you can consider adding to your breakfast pizza:
- Sautéed Vegetables: Sautéed mushrooms, onions, bell peppers, spinach, and tomatoes can add extra flavor and texture to your pizza.
- Avocado: Sliced avocado or guacamole can bring a creamy and nutritious element to your pizza.
- Smoked Salmon: For a gourmet twist, add thin slices of smoked salmon or lox after baking the pizza.
- Hash Browns: Crispy hash browns make for a delicious and hearty topping that adds a satisfying crunch.
- Feta or Goat Cheese: Crumbled feta or goat cheese can provide a tangy contrast to the other flavors.
- Hot Sauce or Sriracha: Add a kick of heat with your favorite hot sauce or drizzle of sriracha.
- Fresh Herbs: Chopped herbs like chives, parsley, or cilantro can add a burst of freshness and color.
- Canadian Bacon: This lean meat option is a great addition if you’re looking to balance flavors and textures.
- Caramelized Onions: Slow-cooked caramelized onions bring a sweet and savory depth to your pizza.
- Sun-Dried Tomatoes: These concentrated tomatoes add a burst of intense flavor to each bite.
- Spinach or Arugula: After baking, top your pizza with fresh spinach or arugula for a vibrant and nutritious finish.
- Pesto: Spread a thin layer of pesto sauce on the crust before adding your other toppings for an herby flavor boost.
- Roasted Red Peppers: Roasted red pepper strips can add a touch of smokiness and sweetness.
- Jalapeños: For those who love spice, sliced jalapeños can provide a fiery kick.
- Ricotta Cheese: Dollops of ricotta cheese can create creamy pockets of flavor on your pizza.
How to Freeze
Freezing Uncooked Breakfast Pizza:
- Assemble and top the pizza.
- Partially bake for 5-10 mins at lower temperature.
- Cool completely, wrap tightly in plastic wrap and foil.
- Label with date and freeze flat.
Freezing Leftover Cooked Breakfast Pizza:
- Cool to room temperature quickly.
- Divide into portions if needed.
- Wrap each portion tightly, label, and freeze.
- Oven: Preheat, bake at recommended temp for 10-15 mins.
- Microwave: 1-2 mins on microwave-safe plate.
- Ensure heated to 165°F (74°C).
- Fresh Greens: Pair your breakfast pizza with a simple side salad of mixed greens, cherry tomatoes, and a light vinaigrette to balance the flavors.
- Fruit Medley: Serve slices of fresh seasonal fruit, such as berries, melon, or citrus, to add a refreshing touch to your meal.
- Yogurt Parfait: Create a healthy contrast by enjoying your breakfast pizza with a yogurt parfait layered with granola and your favorite fruits.
- Roasted Potatoes: Roasted or hash brown potatoes make a hearty and complementary side dish that adds extra substance to your breakfast.
- Fruit Smoothie: Blend up a nutritious fruit smoothie with your choice of fruits, yogurt, and a splash of milk for a well-rounded meal.
- Crispy Bacon: Crisp up some bacon as a savory side that pairs exceptionally well with the flavors of the breakfast pizza.
- Fresh Herbs: Garnish your pizza with chopped fresh herbs like parsley, chives, or basil to enhance the visual appeal and add a burst of freshness.
- Dipping Sauces: Offer a selection of dipping sauces, such as salsa, hot sauce, or creamy hollandaise, to enhance the flavor experience.
- Tea or Coffee: Enjoy your breakfast pizza with a cup of your favorite tea or freshly brewed coffee for a classic morning pairing.
- Mixed Berries: Serve a medley of mixed berries on the side for a burst of antioxidants and natural sweetness.
- Egg on Top: For an extra protein boost, consider adding a fried or poached egg on top of your breakfast pizza before serving.
- Fruit Salad: Create a colorful fruit salad with a variety of fresh fruits for a light and vibrant accompaniment.
- Avocado Slices: Add some creamy and nutritious avocado slices to your plate for a dose of healthy fats.
- Greek Yogurt: A bowl of Greek yogurt with a drizzle of honey and a sprinkle of nuts complements the pizza’s flavors and provides protein.
- Brunch Spread: If serving a group, create a brunch spread with a variety of sides, such as mini quiches, pastries, and fruit platters.
Choose from these serving suggestions to round out your breakfast pizza meal and make it a well-rounded and satisfying experience.
Breakfast PizzaCourse: BreakfastCuisine: American
Savor a unique fusion of flavors in our Breakfast Pizza – a delicious blend of classic breakfast ingredients atop a pizza crust. Soft scrambled eggs, savory sausage, and melty cheeses create a mouthwatering morning treat or brunch delight.
2 cups prepared peppered gravy
1 pound ground country sausage, cooked and mixed into the peppered gravy
4 soft-scrambled eggs (slightly moist, as they finish cooking in the oven)
8 ounces pizza blend cheese (approximately 2 cups)
Betty Crocker recipe pizza dough or store-bought dough
Optional toppings: diced bell peppers, onions, or other favorite vegetables
- Preheat your oven according to the pizza dough package instructions.
- Roll out the pizza dough on a lightly floured surface to your desired size and thickness. Transfer the dough to a prepared baking sheet or pizza stone.
- Spread a generous layer of the prepared peppered gravy evenly over the pizza dough, leaving a border around the edges.
- Sprinkle the cooked country sausage over the gravy layer, ensuring even distribution.
- Gently spoon the soft-scrambled eggs onto the pizza, allowing them to nestle among the sausage and gravy.
- Sprinkle the pizza blend cheese over the top, covering the entire surface.
- If desired, add your favorite vegetable toppings, such as diced bell peppers or onions.
- Carefully place the pizza in the preheated oven and bake according to the pizza dough package instructions, or until the cheese is melted, bubbly, and golden brown.
- Once baked to perfection, remove the breakfast pizza from the oven and let it cool slightly before slicing.
- Serve slices of the savory breakfast pizza warm and enjoy the irresistible combination of flavors.