It doesn’t get much more basic than meat and potatoes when it comes to a hearty supper that sticks to your bones. These dinnertime staples can be prepared in a variety of ways. To name a few, there’s meatloaf with potatoes, cheesy hamburger potato casserole, and Salisbury steak. These meals are typically a hit, but I wanted to try something new.
Potatoes & Meatballs
- 3 peeled and boiled potatoes
- 1 Diced Onion
- Minse (500 grams)
- 1 tsp chopped parsley
- 1 tsp. paprika
- Mozzarella Cheese, 125 g
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- 5 tablespoons of butter
- 4 tblsp Flour (Plain)
- 4 cups milk
- 2 teaspoons of salt
- Nutmeg, 1/2 teaspoon
- First and foremost, we’ll produce a basic béchamel sauce to be used later in the recipe!
- To begin, melt your butter in a medium saucepan over medium-low heat.
- Stir in the flour until the mixture is smooth.
- Cook the mixture for another six or seven minutes, or until it gets a light golden color.
- Meanwhile, in a different pan, heat your milk until it’s almost boiling.
- Once it’s heated enough, slowly pour in one cup of hot milk at a time into the butter, stirring constantly until it’s smooth.
- Bring the mixture to a boil, stirring constantly, once all of the milk has been absorbed. Cook for 10 minutes. Season with salt and nutmeg in the end, and you’re done.
Potatoes & Meatballs
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees now that your sauce is ready.
- Then, in a large mixing basin, combine the package of meat, minced parsley, and paprika. Season with a pinch of salt and pepper.
- Mix all of the ingredients until they’re evenly incorporated once they’re all together.
- Next, peel three potatoes and boil them for about seven minutes, or until they’re semi-soft. When they’re done, remove them from the oven and cut them into slices, putting them on a round glass baking dish.
- Arrange one layer flat on the bottom and another layer around the sides.
- After that, take the beef mixture and shape it into ice cream scoop-sized meatballs—it should make around 15 meatballs in total.
- After that, place them over the potato slices you prepared previously.
- Use the remaining potato slices to form walls between the meatballs so that each one has its own compartment after you’ve finished assembling them.
- Fill each of the “compartments” with béchamel sauce until they’re about halfway full, then top with a thin layer of shredded mozzarella.
- Finally, bake the entire dish for 15 minutes in a preheated oven.
- You’ll have a wonderfully cheesy and creamy French casserole-style dish that the whole family will enjoy once it’s done!